North Attleboro girls, Canton boys Split Doubleheader

By Anthony Rinaldi, Contributor

CANTON, Mass. – In a game that was even the whole night, it’s no surprise that it came down to the final seconds of the contest.

Canton’s Devin Foster emerged as the hero after hitting that winning shot in a 60-58 victory over North Attleboro Friday night at Canton High School.

It was a back and forth contest through the first 16 minutes. The largest lead of the half was seven for North Attleboro during the first quarter. Beyond that, neither side had a lead larger than four.

The third quarter was full of runs. Canton came out hot going on a 13-4 run to take a 38-30 lead. North Attleboro responded with an 11-3 run to end the quarter, which tied the score at 41-41 with eight minutes to play.

The fourth quarter was again back and forth; no team led by more than three and it came down to the final possessions. Down by one, Foster connected on a three pointer to give the Bulldogs a two point lead. North Attleboro was able to convert on the other end as Brent Doherty (21 points) found Jonny Friberg (18 points) underneath to tie the game at 58-58.

Instead of a timeout, Canton inbounded the ball with 10 seconds left on the clock and Foster took the ball down the left side and put up a floater sinking it and leaving just four ticks left on the clock. North Attleboro tried to get down the floor but could not get their shot up in time.


“We had the ball at the end and that’s what it was, I really think because we had the ball for the last possession that’s what won us the game,” Canton head coach Ryan Gordy said.

“I came on the left side and knew there was nobody for help so I knew I was going to take the shot,” Foster said.

Foster led all scorers in the game with 27 while junior Tony Harris added 17 and Danny Hartnett finished with 13 points for the Bulldogs.

Canton (2-4 overall, 1-3 Hockomock) next will go on the road to face Milford on January 10th. North Attleboro (4-4, 1-3) will face Sharon at home the same night.

Strong Second Half Sparks North Attleboro

CANTON, Mass. – The North Attleboro girls basketball team used a strong second half performance to get past Canton, 59-47, on Friday night at Canton High School.

The first half was back and forth throughout and even though North Attleboro never trailed, but their largest lead was only nine, which was a result of five straight points from senior captain Samantha Taggart.

The third quarter is when North Attleboro started to take over the game. Fresh out of the halftime break, the Rocketeers went on a 10-4 run and the defense only allowed just eight points in the quarter. Big Red turned a 27-23 lead at halftime into a 39-31 advantage heading into the final quarter.

“We talked at halftime about getting bodies in there and running some pressure to take advantage because we knew they had some trouble with some guards,” North Attleboro head coach Derek Herber said.

In that third quarter it was Taggart who put the pressure on the guards and gave the Rocketeers a spark. She scored six of her game-high 16 points and had an assist in a 10-4 run which turned the game around for North.

“Sam is the way we run,” said Herber. “She was great for us in that third quarter. She carried us through those times where we had foul trouble, she stayed on the court and was able to settle everyone down.”

Caroline Collard was the next highest scorer for North Attleboro with 15. For Canton Hannah Jerrier tied Taggert with 16, and Emma Murphy had 10 points.

Next up for North Attleboro (6-1, 4-0 Hockomock) is a trip to Davenport rival Sharon on January 10th, while Canton (1-5, 0-4) will face Davenport rival Milford at home.

Ryan Lanigan
Follow Me